Saturday, July 30, 2011

Having Children Means.....Always smelling a hint of Urine





I'm frustrated with potty training.  Every 30 minutes I'm suppose to drag this kid to the toilet and have him sit there for 10.  And sit he does, and talk about pee pee, and talk about poo poo and talk about flushing and scream at his Privates "PEE PEES OUT!"  In 2 weeks he has peed 4 times.  I suppose that's good, but I am frustrated that he seems to either A. still not understand the sensation of urinating or B. he is being a brat and holding it in so he can pee in a diaper.  The other day he held it for 3 hours.....that's 6 potty runs....only to pee in the Pull up 5 minutes later.  And pull-ups are expensive!!! No pee in Pull-ups!!!  I'm tired of pee in diapers and I'm super tired of Poop in diapers. 

I'm told to flood his system with water so he will go on the toilet.  Last night this led to a kid who held it in until he went to bed.  This morning a pee soaked child crawled into bed with me.  I mean SOAKED in pee, everywhere on his shirt too, he exploded a diaper.  He went to Grandmas tonight and I am hot washing all bed linens.  I'm so sick of urine. 

4 comments:

  1. How old is he now? I would honestly not push it until he's really ready. He may legitimately not understand the feeling yet, or may not actually be processing the urge. Jack didn't potty train until he was just shy of his 5th birthday - he just up and decided it was time (his then 3 1/2yo brother had successfully potty trained a month earlier). He still holds his poo until he absolutely *has* to go, and he's in there for all of about 30 seconds haha. It might be worth it for your sanity to back off and not push quite so hard. ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is 3. I don't want to push him but I feel I have to. I'm not sure if that makes sense? I wrote this post after I found a pee diaper that had no been disposed of, and I was just thinking I am so tired of smelling it. i was a typical child who didn't potty train till I was 3.5. I just feel like its something that Im suppose to do......It too will pass so its all good

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!! Both my kids, 5 1/2 yrs and 3 1/2 yrs REFUSE to do anything in the potty. They can sit on the potty for up to 15 minutes, nothing happens, then a few minutes later they pee in and OUT of their diapers. It's so infuriating and I'm SO TIRED of constantly washing their bed sheets! You are not alone sister...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let go of the idea that you're "supposed" to do anything - you do what you need to do for your family. Nobody else's opinion matters. Your child isn't following convention in so many other ways, so it stands to reason he won't in this way, either. Let him lead - pushing him most likely isn't going to work. And seriously, you do what you need to do to maintain your sanity. Yes, my two oldest finally potty trained, but my 4yo still wets the bed every. single. night. After a few months of changing sheets at 2am every night, we broke down and started putting him in pull-ups at night. When he's dry a few nights in a row (which hasn't happened yet), we'll try again. But in the meantime, we're sleeping at night again. Know you have support in doing what's necessary for you and yours - we're making our own path here, and that's hard sometimes. ((((hugs))) (Wendy- Autism is A Trip)

    ReplyDelete